Friday, February 14, 2014

Page 37

FIRST      PREV      NEXT      LAST

I sometimes find it helpful to base character designs on real-world models. Fifty quatloos to the first reader who identifies these guys, whom I call Bob and Lumpy....



UPDATE: We have a winner! Two winners, actually, pending official confirmation of the judge's ballots (see the comments below). Congratulations to Mike and Kedamono for having the taste and, probably, the advanced age necessary to recognize Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans (real names Bob Keeshan and Hugh "Lumpy" Brannum), my Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Not that they're gonna die or anything.


7 comments:

  1. Funny, I thought that and then said, no, it's probably Aldo Reklats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob Keeshan and Hugh Brannum? Captain, o captain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, you threw me, until "Aldo" clicked. Mary Worth's stalker's last name was Kelrats (Moy and Giella wanted you to think it was "stalker" backwards but they were cleverer than that and made it a mere anagram). I can see the resemblance.

    Kedamono, you are as perceptive as you are wise. Since I think Mike got it first but didn't explicitly state the names, the judges have decided to award you 25 quatloos each. And watch out for falling ping pong balls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering if you were on a Mary Worth connection here. Next up: Our Villain finds a "Jack Elrod" button in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm going to do Mark Trail, I might as well go all-in and draw a talking duck.

    In-joke callback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to guess Jerry Dunn for the driver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Partial Double-Secret Credit and 25 Bonus quatloos to Wallflower! Everyone else says "Who?" Jerry is a friend and colleague of my wife Karen's who made cameos in both Mom's Cancer and WHTTWOT. I decided to put him in this comic too as sort of a lucky charm. However, I got stuck designing his scrap-collecting partner, which is how my mind turned to pre-existing real-life partnerships with an interesting physical contrast, hence Capt. Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans. Jerry doesn't really look like the good captain, but this character is an amalgam of them both.

    Please, nobody tell Jerry I think he in any way resembles Captain Kangaroo.

    ReplyDelete