Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Page 124

FIRST      PREV      NEXT      LAST

EDITED TO ADD: I got some comments from smart readers confused by the action on this page. Consequently, I added some dialog to help explain where Lillian's heading and what she's doing in the first three panels. I think it helps, though I also see some places WAY back in the story where I could clarify the geography of the Inventor's lair a bit. Later . . .

This is a big reason I wanted to put "Last Mechanical Monster" online before doing anything else with it (if it ever amounts to anything else): Crowd-Sourced Editing. If one or two people mention something, it might be their problem. If a whole bunch of people identify the same problem, it's definitely mine. Thanks, editors!

6 comments:

  1. Lois Lane would have never thought of the old Ctrl-Alt-Delete Maneuver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering about the device next to Lillian in the final panel - is that a CRT? It doesn't seem contemporaneous with the rest of Sparky's equipment. His original hardware was mostly zinc-plated control panels and buttons, like the robot status panel Lillian's mashing in Panel 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lois was just an analog typewriter-and-gin kinda gal.

    Sparky bought the modernish computer monitor to go with the webcam (no doubt part of the "parts list" Lillian provided on Page 58). It only shows the webcam signal, which is the POV we see in Panel 3: the Robot looking up at Lillian on the dais. This may be a point I coulda/shoulda clarified earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh okay - - I was confused at Panel 3 because I thought you were aiming for some kind of action montage but that's -- to use a film term -- a "diegetic image" of the robot's webcam, and not a stylistic reaction. Got it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm confused where is the emergency off button she presses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not alone. I think this is a detail I need to clarify, and that might read better if the story weren't spread out over so much time. The Inventor's original remote controls were a big panel he operated from atop his dais, but Superman destroyed that. Now that he's only got one Robot, he scaled down to one little control box (which, for example, he used on Pages 73-74). Lillian's climbing the steps to the dais and control box on Page 123.

    ReplyDelete