Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Coda

After 16 months and 170 pages, The Last Mechanical Monster is done. If you'd like to catch up . . .

the very first page is here, and the very last page is here.

Also, the "Webcomic Archive" to the right will take you to any page you'd like.

But don't leave yet.

I wanted to do something fun to thank loyal readers of The Last Mechanical Monster for coming back twice a week, leaving critical and encouraging comments (both appreciated), and supporting the comic in many ways, including your Eisner Award votes (still a few days left to mark your ballots!). This link will download a PDF with everything you need to make your very own paper Mechanical Monster. Disclaimer: it isn't bulletproof, and it won't fly unless you throw it really hard.




So if you're ready to embark on a career of supervillainy and have seven sheets of cardstock in your arsenal, click on this link to download the big guy's schematics. One thought: some of the papercraft involved (cutting, folding, gluing, etc.) is probably more than a child would have the patience or skill to take on. It's really meant for grown-ups. Grown-ups who want a robot paper doll.

I designed it myself (really!), so the engineering might be a little rough. Feel free to tweak it. If anybody actually builds the thing, I'd love to post photos of your results here!

Going ahead, I'll certainly be sharing any news from the 2015 Comic-Con International and Eisner Awards, where we're nominated for Best Digital Comic. Also, there is a chance that The Last Mechanical Monster will see print. Conversations have been had but contracts have not been signed, so that's all I can say about that. Whatever comes next will be in full color (so I'd better get to work).

When I began posting in late 2013, I said that in addition to being a story I really wanted to tell, The Last Mechanical Monster was an experiment in process. Comics and webcomics have changed a lot since I did Mom's Cancer. I wondered if there was still a place for a simple comic drawn with black ink on white paper and posted on a free web platform, without HTML fireworks, animation, gadgets, gimmicks, portals, promotions or ads.

If I built it, would they come?

Well, "they"--and you--did. Thank you, thanks to the few folks who reviewed and linked to it, and thanks to the judges and voters who made it a contender for two Eisner Awards. You made my little experiment a great success.

I hope you enjoyed the story of Sparky, his Robot, Lillian and Helen as much as I enjoyed making it up. I'll miss them.



18 comments:

  1. Thank you Brian, I really enjoyed reading your comic! The paper Mechanical Monster is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I also really enjoyed reading this story these past 16 months. Wish I had been better about vocalizing that along the way, but I always looked forward to each page. In the end, I think that the forced pacing of the gradual release made for a much richer experience, much like the reading experience for Mom's Cancer.

    I was far more invested in the story and in the characters than I might have been if I had just devoured it in one sitting. I'm not ashamed to admit that reading the last pages as they were released was very emotional, especially knowing that things were coming to a close.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderful. Skillfully written and drawn. I will miss waiting for the new episodes greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work, Brian. I looked forward to every episode. Hope the print version happens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to miss those Tuesday and Friday installments...! This has been wonderful; these characters are engaging and memorable. Thank you very much! 8 - )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone. I'll miss them too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been quite a ride. You, sir, are a most satisfactory storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've really enjoyed this series and I was unable to predict how you were going to end it up until the last couple of pages. That doesn't happen all that often these days. Good work! Good luck with the Eisner Award, and I can't wait until I can reread this comic in print!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where's the Eisner link? I want to vote and I hope it's not too late!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Richard, I'm sure I've said this before, but that means a lot coming from you. I just tried to be worthy of the fine trophy you awarded me last year; hope I didn't disgrace the office.

    Zoolander, you have to be a pro in comics or a related field to vote, but if you think you qualify the registration and ballot is at eisnervote.com. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Brian! I just finished reading it. What a great story. I really wish I'd been following along over the past couple of years. Came to the party late, but it's just as enjoyable. I would love to see this in print some day (along with 3D Specs! I can't find mine... :-/) I look forward to seeing any new projects from you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doug, thanks very much for reading! I do hope (and am planning!) for the story to be printed in full color. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a really great and moving comic. I devoured it in one nightly sitting after being sent here by Geek&Sundry, Wonderful work is all I can say,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it, thanks for sharing, your comics are inspirational! Cool concept of relating the old vintage works!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow. great read. is it dusty in here? my eyes are a little watery.

    thank you.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for reading, Chinyew and Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you- as someone whose grandparents bought a DVD which Machinical Monster on it, this struck home to many childhood musings. You brought back a love for a villain I'd forgotten, be proud.

    ReplyDelete